Unless you're a professional house "flipper," buying or selling a house isn't something you do on a regular basis. Improve your chances of getting a fair price, finding a mortgage and not being shocked by unexpected closing costs whether you do it yourself - "For Sale By Owner" - or have a real estate agent to help navigate through these issues. And what happens if the deal doesn't go through? Start here to find out your best course of action.
Real Estate Basics
- What are the risks of Buying Property Together?
- What you need to know: The Basics of Condos and Co-ops.
- Discrimination in Real Estate Sales and Leasing: How to protect yourself.
- Be sure to think about any Environmental Concerns before purchasing it.
- You may be interested in Green Homes. Know the real deal.
- Megan's Law And Sex Offender Registry
"For Sale by Owner" or with an Agent?
- Use a Real Estate Agent or Sell or Purchase a home yourself: What are the pros and cons?
- What you should know about For Sale By Owner (FSBO) before you decide.
- Here are some Online Real Estate Resources to help you decode what your first, and next, steps should be.
- Search for Real Estate Information on Your Own to cut down on expenses.
Work with a Real Estate Agent/Broker:
- What is the best way to Find and Select a Real Estate Agent?
- How should you judge the Performance of Your Real Estate Agent?
- How much in Real Estate Commissions should you pay?
Buying Real Estate:
- When should I consider Purchasing a House?
- If you're buying a home, you should review the Basics.
- Are you Buying a New House while Selling the one you currently own?
- What is a Purchase Agreement?
- Should you consider Buying Foreclosed Property, and what are the risks?
- Real Estate Home Shopping and Offer to Purchase FAQ
- Buying a House in Your State
Selling Real Estate:
- Should you Sell Your Home?
- Prepare to Sell Your House.
- How to determine if the Your Real Estate Agent is Performing well.
- What to do when you Respond to an Offer to purchase your home?
- Selling Your House FAQ
- Selling a House in Your State
Mortgages, Financing, Insurance and Other Fees
- Financing A House FAQ
- Qualify for a Mortgage before you start your search.
- Learn about Predatory Lending before you get burned.
- Should you use a Mortgage Broker?
- Are you aware of Fair Lending and Discrimination laws?
- Be on the lookout for Mortgage Fraud.
- Obtaining a Mortgage: Selection and Qualification.
- Be sure you can Afford Your Mortgage Payment.
- Why would you need Private Mortgage Insurance?
- Be sure to Insure Your Home, it's probably your largest asset.
- Ensure your home is yours - free and clear - with Title Insurance.
- Homeowners Insurance FAQ
- Don't let Home Transfer and Recording Taxes sneak up on you at closing.
- What is the role of Escrow in the Closing Process?
- There are always Unanticipated Closing Costs.
Disclosures, Inspections and Reports
- A Home and Real Estate Appraisal helps determine the market price of your home.
- Be sure to get a Home Inspection before signing any paperwork.
- Check your property for any potential harmful Insects and Pests.
- The seller must Disclose Hidden Defects to the real estate agent and potential buyers.
- Make sure there aren't any Restrictions on the Title of your home, which could lead to losing control your property.
Moving and Settling In
- Moving your furniture and belongings: Handling Movers with Care.
- If you're moving into a condo or co-op be sure to know your Homeowners Association Law.
- How to be a Good a Neighbor and Pet Owner.
When It Doesn't Work Out
- Buyers' Rights and Real Estate Sales Contracts when a seller decides not to sell.
- Sellers' Rights and Real Estate Sales Contracts when the buyer decides not to buy.
- What can be done to Enforce Real Estate Sales Contracts.
- When there's a Breach of Contract in Real Estate can you sue?
- How can you fix Problems in New Home Construction.