> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Real Estate > What can I do about ex who walked away from mortgage?

What can I do about ex who walked away from mortgage?

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 03rd, 2017 on Real Estate - New York
More details to this question:
Me and my ex (never married) bought a house together. Both names on deed but he is only on the mortgage. He walked away and stopped paying the mortgage and taxes. I have been paying them so our kids can still have a house to live in. I do not know what to do to protect myself in this matter.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 04th, 2017 at 6:08 AM

While you would not owe the mortgage if you did not pay it, you could lose the house if the mortgage is unpaid.  As these kids are his kids, you should go to Family Court and get a child support order that makes him pay the mortgage.

Report Abuse
Real Estate
Real estate attorneys can help individuals, families and small business with all property-related legal issues. Buyers and sellers of residential and commercial real estate should work with an attorney to negotiate the terms of agreement; draft and review the contract; review related paperwork (such as loan agreements); clear existing liens on a property; and attend the closing. Lawyers can also assist property owners with addressing zoning/rezoning issues and appealing property tax assessment. Landlords and tenants should work with real estate law firms to draft and review lease agreement, handle eviction proceedings and resolve landlord-tenant disputes.
Have an Real Estate Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

328 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

163 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

83 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

80 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

77 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Real Estate Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums