> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Residential Real Estate > We are displaced by a fire that originated in a neighboring home. The cause of the fire was a space heater but hoarding seemed to contribute to it

We are displaced by a fire that originated in a neighboring home. The cause of the fire was a space heater but hoarding seemed to contribute to it

1 Answers. Asked on Mar 19th, 2017 on Residential Real Estate - Pennsylvania
More details to this question:
I reported the hoarding to my local borough and the local office of the aging as well and nothing was done. Our local police also knew of the hoarding and didn't step in. Now my disabled husband, teen son, 2 dogs and I are homeless for the next 2-6 months during clean up and re-build. The occupants of the home of origin both died. Is it worth checking into filing suit against the borough, office of the aging and PD? Would we get any where?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Mar 20th, 2017 at 7:48 AM

You should file a claim against the decedents' estates for your out of pocket losses.  Although hoarding, in the extreme, may be a violation of local health ordinances, its probably not something that the local authorities can easily address.  I don't think a suit against the local authorities will get anywhere.  Plus you'll have to pay the expenses of the suit and you'll get to diminishing returns very quickly. 

I recommend that you seek out a local attorney for a more in depth discussion of the matter. I do not recommend that you take any action steps without such a consult. Act quickly because by waiting, you may lose certain rights and remedies available to you.

Report Abuse
Residential Real Estate
Residential real estate attorneys can assist and advise homeowners at all stages of property ownership, including negotiating, drafting and reviewing purchase agreements; applying for zoning variances; appealing property tax assessments; clearing liens; exploring options to prevent foreclosure; defending homeowners during foreclosure proceedings; and representing homeowners in the event of defect non-disclosure litigation. Residential real estate lawyers can also represent either landlords or renters on lease negotiations, if landlord-tenant disputes occur or in the event of eviction proceedings.
Have an Residential Real Estate Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

307 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

237 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

141 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

114 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

95 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

94 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

92 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Residential Real Estate Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Haveson and Otis

Princeton, NJ

| Contact Now

Walker Jones, PC

Warrenton, VA

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums