> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Real Estate > need to change names on deed to house..father in law passed away. want to put my name and sister-in-laws

need to change names on deed to house..father in law passed away. want to put my name and sister-in-laws

4 Answers. Asked on May 14th, 2017 on Real Estate - New York
More details to this question:
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 4 out of 4
Answered on May 15th, 2017 at 7:48 PM

Your question is a little incomplete.  Was your father in law the 100% owner.  If so, did he have a will?  These issues control the answer. Only the owner can add names.  It is unclear from this question who that is.

Report Abuse
Answered on May 15th, 2017 at 7:15 AM

Depending on the type of deed, title may automatically pass. Otherwise, you may have to start an estate for your father in law.

This response is for general informational purposes only. An attorney-client relationship is not being formed.

Report Abuse
Answered on May 15th, 2017 at 6:30 AM

Your ability to accomplish this depends on whether your father-in-law died with or without a will.  Only an administrator or executor of his estate appointed by the court has the power to transfer title to an estate asset? 

Report Abuse
Answered on May 15th, 2017 at 5:38 AM

You can't just change a name on a deed when the property owner  passes away. A legal representative of the estate must be appointed in order to make any transfer. Was he sole owner of the house, did he have a will and if so to whom did he leave his real property? If he had no will who survived him? If he was not sole owner who else owned the property and are they still alive? If there was more than one owner  the deed needs to be reviewed to determine whether he held the property as a joint tenant, tenant by entirety or tenant in commom. Please provide the above information and I can give you answers.

Report Abuse
Real Estate
Real estate attorneys can help individuals, families and small business with all property-related legal issues. Buyers and sellers of residential and commercial real estate should work with an attorney to negotiate the terms of agreement; draft and review the contract; review related paperwork (such as loan agreements); clear existing liens on a property; and attend the closing. Lawyers can also assist property owners with addressing zoning/rezoning issues and appealing property tax assessment. Landlords and tenants should work with real estate law firms to draft and review lease agreement, handle eviction proceedings and resolve landlord-tenant disputes.
Have an Real Estate Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

142 Answers, 23 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

109 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

84 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

82 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

79 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Real Estate Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums