> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Real Estate > need a legal document to delay fumigation m of hoa I own one of the condos have written a short brief

need a legal document to delay fumigation m of hoa I own one of the condos have written a short brief

1 Answers. Asked on Apr 17th, 2017 on Real Estate - California
More details to this question:
due diligence was not foffowed,board used threats
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Apr 18th, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Your CC&Rs should include an Internal Dispute Resolution procedure, where you can meet with a board member to discuss your concerns and try to work them out. If this doesn't work, then you can require Alternative Dispute Resolution. However, the statute does not require the HOA to stop or postpone the work while you go through this process. If the HOA Board decides that the fumigation is critical, they might be right.

If you sue the HOA Board to stop the fumigation until the IDR and ADR processes are completed, you will have a very high standard to prove. The decisions of the HOA Board are deemed reasonable, unless you prove that there is no substantial evidence to support their decision. If reasonable minds can disagree, then you lose. If you lose, you will have to reimburse the HOA for all its legal fees and expenses. Since the HOA Board and the attorney both know that you are likely to lose and have to pay the legal fees, they don't have any incentive to keep the legal fees down. 

If the building really is suffering from some infestation, you are not going to win any friends or allies by causing the fumigation to be delayed. After it is all over, they will still be your neighbors. 

If you appreciate this free advice, please remember to refer me to any friends or acquaintances who need a lawyer. Referrals are still our best source of new business.

Do you have a revocable living trust to protect your heirs against probate? Probate takes forever, is expensive, and is annoying. Do your family a favor. Set up a trust, and put all your property, especially any real property, into the trust. Since it is revocable, you can change it, add to it, take property out of it, or even cancel it completely, at any time. We set up such trusts, provide a pour-over will as a back-up for any property that does not make it into the trust, provide you with blank durable powers of attorney for health care and financial decisions, in case you become incapable of making such decisions while still alive, and convey one piece of real property to the trust, usually the family home, for $1500.00. If you would like to hire me to do this, let me know, and I'll send you a list of the information I need.


Dana Sack

Report Abuse
Real Estate
Real estate attorneys can help individuals, families and small business with all property-related legal issues. Buyers and sellers of residential and commercial real estate should work with an attorney to negotiate the terms of agreement; draft and review the contract; review related paperwork (such as loan agreements); clear existing liens on a property; and attend the closing. Lawyers can also assist property owners with addressing zoning/rezoning issues and appealing property tax assessment. Landlords and tenants should work with real estate law firms to draft and review lease agreement, handle eviction proceedings and resolve landlord-tenant disputes.
Have an Real Estate Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

142 Answers, 23 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

109 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

84 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

82 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

79 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Real Estate Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums