> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Commercial Real Estate > If the deed to a property is donated to a non profit youth organization, can the nonprofit request the city of Philadelphia to forgive the back taxes?

If the deed to a property is donated to a non profit youth organization, can the nonprofit request the city of Philadelphia to forgive the back taxes?

1 Answers. Asked on Jan 14th, 2017 on Commercial Real Estate - Pennsylvania
More details to this question:
I am the legal owner of a nonprofit organization which serves youth at risk of homelessness, juvenile delinquency, truancy etc. Currently, we have been granted daily use of the 2nd floor of a daycare center. A week ago, a local businessman donated a commercial store front to the youth organization. This building however is a distressed property in need of renovations and is behind in taxes. My question to you is can the nonprofit organization get those taxes forgiven by the city of Philadelphia or will the nonprofit be forced to come up with the funds to pay off the taxes? Please help me
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jan 30th, 2017 at 11:00 AM

It's certainly possible that the local taxing authorities can forgive the taxes.  Best thing for you to do is ask the County, city and school district up front before you accept the property and the problem. 

I recommend that you seek out a local attorney for a more in depth discussion of the matter. I do not recommend that you take any action steps without such a consult. Act quickly because by waiting, you may lose certain rights and remedies available to you.

Report Abuse
Commercial Real Estate
Regardless of your company's industry, its commercial real estate holdings can have a tremendous impact on the bottom line. Whether you're an owner, landlord or lessee, your business needs the advice and guidance of a commercial real estate attorney with experience handling all aspects of real estate matters, from drafting and negotiating leases and sales agreements to addressing zoning issues and environmental problems. From the moment your business decides to invest in new property, divest existing property or renegotiate a lease, your first call should be to your commercial real estate lawyer. Law firms that represent clients on commercial real estate transactions will have experience working with buyers, sellers, landlords, real estate agents, title insurers, lenders and mortgage companies.
Have an Commercial Real Estate Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

307 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

237 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

141 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

114 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

95 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

94 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

92 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Commercial Real Estate Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums