> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Real Estate > I have a judgement lien on my house because of something my son owes, how do I get it removed and how much does it cost.Cal Villarreal

I have a judgement lien on my house because of something my son owes, how do I get it removed and how much does it cost.Cal Villarreal

1 Answers. Asked on Apr 07th, 2017 on Real Estate - California
More details to this question:
his name is not on the tile or anywhere on my property. I don't know why they put a lien on my house.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Apr 18th, 2017 at 2:12 PM

In order for a lawyer to know what is going on, whether it can be fixed, and how much it might cost, she will need to see the lien and the court documents. Sometimes fathers and sons have the same name or similar names. Sometimes a person who is sued will transfer a home to a friend or family member in order to try to avoid paying the judgment. The courts and the law are not fooled by this strategy. On the other hand, sometimes an unscrupulous creditor will try to extort a partial payment out of a family member by recording a false lien. And there are lots of other possibilities.

Reviewing the file might take an hour or more. You should plan on spending $200.00-$500.00, to find out what is going on and what a lawyer might be able to do for you.

If you appreciate this free advice, please remember to refer me to any friends or acquaintances who need a lawyer. Referrals are still our best source of new business.

Do you have a revocable living trust to protect your heirs against probate? Probate takes forever, is expensive, and is annoying. Do your family a favor. Set up a trust, and put all your property, especially any real property, into the trust. Since it is revocable, you can change it, add to it, take property out of it, or even cancel it completely, at any time. We set up such trusts, provide a pour-over will as a back-up for any property that does not make it into the trust, provide you with blank durable powers of attorney for health care and financial decisions, in case you become incapable of making such decisions while still alive, and convey one piece of real property to the trust, usually the family home, for $1500.00. If you would like to hire me to do this, let me know, and I'll send you a list of the information I need.


Dana Sack

Report Abuse
Real Estate
Real estate attorneys can help individuals, families and small business with all property-related legal issues. Buyers and sellers of residential and commercial real estate should work with an attorney to negotiate the terms of agreement; draft and review the contract; review related paperwork (such as loan agreements); clear existing liens on a property; and attend the closing. Lawyers can also assist property owners with addressing zoning/rezoning issues and appealing property tax assessment. Landlords and tenants should work with real estate law firms to draft and review lease agreement, handle eviction proceedings and resolve landlord-tenant disputes.
Have an Real Estate Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

142 Answers, 23 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

109 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

84 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

82 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

79 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Real Estate Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums