> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Real Estate > How can my HOA not have a reserve fund?

How can my HOA not have a reserve fund?

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 17th, 2017 on Real Estate - California
More details to this question:
I went to my prop management co. Of my HOA and they said we don't have a reserve fund just a expense account and it states current balance $37,000, they just sent a notice of an emergency pecial assessment for unspecified area repair costing 10,800 and each member is responsible for paying 6 installments of $100 to cover expense. How can they do this if it says our balance in the trust account is more than enough to cover it?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 18th, 2017 at 12:48 PM

In California, by law, the maximum dues increase per year is 5% of gross expenses, and that increase is spread over all the units. The CC&Rs can provide for a lower limit. 

Your HOA Board is required by law, to prepare a comprehensive reserve fund study every three years, and to review it at least once-a-year. If your HOA is not doing this, it needs to get a new manager. He should be making sure this gets done.

After bringing this to your HOA Board's attention, if they don't do it, then you and your neighbors need to run for the Board and put good people on the Board. In many HOAs, no one wants to do the work required of the Board. The volunteers who end up on the Board might not be the best able to do all the work required. Every owner needs a good board to protect the owners' investments.

If that doesn't work, then request Internal Dispute Resolution and then mediation or arbitration, to get the message through to the Board that they don't have any choice. Increases greater than the 5% limit require approval by the owners. Reserve studies are mandatory.

Good luck.

Dana Sack


Report Abuse
Real Estate
Real estate attorneys can help individuals, families and small business with all property-related legal issues. Buyers and sellers of residential and commercial real estate should work with an attorney to negotiate the terms of agreement; draft and review the contract; review related paperwork (such as loan agreements); clear existing liens on a property; and attend the closing. Lawyers can also assist property owners with addressing zoning/rezoning issues and appealing property tax assessment. Landlords and tenants should work with real estate law firms to draft and review lease agreement, handle eviction proceedings and resolve landlord-tenant disputes.
Have an Real Estate Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

357 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

241 Answers, 47 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

114 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

81 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

79 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

70 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums