> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Real Estate > Do I have the right of redemption to keep my home in NY, if the FC was not done in 10 years

Do I have the right of redemption to keep my home in NY, if the FC was not done in 10 years

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 27th, 2017 on Real Estate - New York
More details to this question:
Do I have the right of redemption to keep my home from being foreclosed? Per online research; the Foreclosure Statue of limitations in NY is 6 years. Facts: (1). Mortgage became default 10/01/2007 (2). The lender filed FC (L/P) case on 03/10/2008 (3). The FC (L/P) case was cancelled on 03/27/2013 *****6 years** (4). The lender then filed a new FC (L/P) case on 03/08/16. The current status of the FC process on the public record is a (NOTICE) recorded on 05/04/2017. No judgement order. (5). FYI - Since I wasn't aware of the 2nd filing, until recently. I did not have the opportunity to file a defense for 03/08/16. (6). FYI – The FC is now well over 10 years, dating from 2007 thru 2017. Question: Do I have a chance to keep my home know, due to neglect from Coountrywide Mortgage / US Bank?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 27th, 2017 at 3:11 PM

The issue is what happened to the first case.  Was it dismissed or withdrawn.  This is actually a cutting edge issue as many of these old cases come up.  If you have not made any payment since 2007, you have an argument.

Report Abuse
Real Estate
Real estate attorneys can help individuals, families and small business with all property-related legal issues. Buyers and sellers of residential and commercial real estate should work with an attorney to negotiate the terms of agreement; draft and review the contract; review related paperwork (such as loan agreements); clear existing liens on a property; and attend the closing. Lawyers can also assist property owners with addressing zoning/rezoning issues and appealing property tax assessment. Landlords and tenants should work with real estate law firms to draft and review lease agreement, handle eviction proceedings and resolve landlord-tenant disputes.
Have an Real Estate Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

357 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 47 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

114 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

81 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

79 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

70 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums